Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When we we wil be able to Elk hunt in Virginia
What is your best guess as to when we will be able to hunt elk in virginia? 2,3, 5 or more years? or longer?

Or has anyone read anything stating any plans?
VASportsmen.com forum owner/administrator  Admin

VASportsmen's Facebook page  Buddies

Cash's Custom Calls pro staff member [Image: cashsmilie_zpsmgdyaj0s.jpeg]
I assume you're asking when we can hunt elk with a reasonable expectation of success.... I dunno, maybe 5 years

Elk of either sex, antlered or antlerless, may be taken during any open deer season using weapons legal for deer during that season (except that elk season is closed in the counties of Buchanan, Dickenson, and Wise.)
The taking of an elk counts toward the hunter’s daily and license year bag limit for deer.
Licenses, tag validation, and checking requirements for elk are the same as for deer.
It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any harvested elk until checked. Elk may be dismembered to pack it out from the place of kill. The identity of the sex and all parts of the carcass must be present when the elk is checked.
Successful hunters, upon checking an elk, must contact the Department at (804) 367-0044 to schedule the collection of biological samples for disease testing. This number is intended only to make arrangements to obtain tissue samples from harvested elk. No other game checking or other wildlife issues will be answered using this number. For general wildlife questions, call (804) 367-1000 during normal business hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If VA is as successful as KY, it was 4 years until a season opened (2001) and that was only for 12 permits. I think it was 4 years later that they opened it up to 40 permits. That number is now at 1000 permits (and almost 40K put in for a tag).
Rob

Single bars are still the only place in VA where you will find cougars!  Tongue
so johhnylaw is probably spot on when he says 5 years

i concur

They estimate 10,000 elk in Kentucky. Vdgif would like to control the va herd at 700 in three counties.

I expect only a few tags will be issued each year in those select counties.

Hopefully a couple wander on over to us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When they do allow hunting Elk how will it work? Is the land they live public access or will hunters have to pay to access the properties the Elk are on? I'm just trying to gauge the cost to hunt these beasts!
(12-19-2016, 07:27 PM)Huntnhijim Wrote: When they do allow hunting Elk how will it work? Is the land they live public access or will hunters have to pay to access the properties the Elk are on? I'm just trying to gauge the cost to hunt these beasts!

Well a certain vdgif board member, Leon Boyd who works for a prominent gas well drilling company that controls ALOT of land in Buchanan county pretty much spearheaded the elk stocking effort in Buchanan county, so what's that tell ya???

if one digs deep enough, i would wager the land they stocked them on is controlled by said company, anyone wanna take that bet?

There's no public hunting land to my knowledge in Buchanan County and Buchanan was the only county in SWVA that voted to allow elk stocking. I would say Mr Boyd done well finding a landowner that was agreeable.